Bunker Renovation Works – Phase 2
In 2017 we commissioned Howard Swan, Golf Course Architect, to carry out a review of the bunkering on the golf course and to make recommendations. Howard Swan’s report was considered by the Council and discussed at a Special General Meeting in October 2017. Members supported embarking on a programme of redevelopment specifically in relation to the bunkers. A copy is available to view in the Clubhouse. Last winter we completed phase 1, redeveloping the 13th and 14th holes. This work has been well received by members and visitors.
At the 2018 AGM members approved a proposal to continue the programme and redevelop the bunkering at the 12th hole during winter 2018.
Plans for 12th hole
The works proposed at the 12th hole are shown on the drawing contained within Howard Swan’s report.
This will involve the removal of the bunker on the left between the 14th and 12th greens and the two bunkers at the back of the green (in addition the right middle bunker will be replaced with a swale). The other bunkers will be reshaped with additional drainage and new sand similar to that provided in the 13th and 14th hole bunkers.
The main construction works started on 5 November.
Programme update – Week 6 (18 December 2018)
Despite wet weather (w/c 26th Nov) and icy cold conditions (w/c 3rd Dec) which saw temperatures plummet to just above freezing a few days running, good progress has been made. This week will see us complete our development work for 2018.
Progress so far:
- turfing completed
- bunkers are shaped and edged
- drainage completed, tested and working effectively
- drainage lines filled, levelled and returfed
- green marked to reflect altered shape for 2019, ready to be cut and shaped, fringes will be cut once the weather improves
- bunker at the front left of 14th repaired and back in play
- fairway grass bunker on 15th turfed and completed
- irrigation pipes repaired where necessary