Club Trophies 1896 to 2017
Since the Club was first formed in 1896, it has received many trophies for Gents, Ladies, Mixed, Junior and Open competitions. A number of these have been donated in memory of past members or significant events and others purchased by the Club. There are now 92 Trophies that are played for annually and presented to the winners at the Annual Prizegiving that is held every November.
Amongst some of the finest Trophies are those presented during the early years of the Club’s existence.
Ladies Hewitt Medal (1908)
Presented by the Hon Mrs W Hewitt in 1906. As a Scratch Medal for Ladies. Changed to Foursomes competition in 1929 – best nett score over 18 holes. The first winner was L M Peters.
Ladies Club Cup (1898)
The oldest trophy in the Ladies section. Played over 18 holes in strokeplay format on handicap. The first winner was Mary M Orr.
Ladies Club Trophy (1929)
Presented to the Club in 1929 for annual competition. Matchplay format on handicap. The first winner was Mrs E W Kerr.
Ladies Yearly Cup (1906)
Presented to the Club in 1906 for annual competition. Matchplay format on handicap. The first winner was Helen M Somerville.
The Rolland Medal (1898)
The oldest trophy in the Club for play by the Gents section and presented in 1898. The first winner was the Rev John Brown.
The Hillside Trophy (1906)
Presented to the Club in 1906. Gents Matchplay competition played throughout the year on handicap. The first winner was Mr John L Somerville.
Gents Challenge Cup (1906) – Gents Club Championship
The Gents Club Championship was first played in 1906 when this Trophy was presented to the Club. For many years the format consisted of 2 rounds of scratch strokeplay with the leading 8 players qualifying for matchplay. The final was played over 36 holes. In 1976, the competition was changed to 72 holes strokeplay with the leading 20 players after 36 holes contesting the final 36 holes. The format was briefly changed to matchplay in the 1980’s but reverted to 72 hole strokeplay thereafter. The first Gents Champion was Mr D Leitch.
Gents Cameron Trophy (1929)
This trophy was presented to the Club by Mr Cameron of the Woodside Hotel in 1929. Gents matchplay played throughout the year on handicap. The first winner was Mr. H. Martin.
The Grand Fleet Cup (1920)
This trophy was presented to the Club by the officers of the Grand Fleet (1914-1919). Play is over 18 holes strokeplay on handicap and the leading 8 plus ties qualify for matchplay. The first winner was Mr M G Milburn.
Gents Moubray Cup (1928)
Presented to the Club by Admiral and Major Moubray in 1928. Originally an 18-hole qualifying round on handicap with first 4 qualifying for matchplay. Now 8 qualifiers plus ties contest matchplay on handicap. The first winner was Mr Jas C Aitken.
Gents Hewitt Medal (1906)
Presented by the Hon W H Hewitt in 1906 as a scratch medal competition. Between 1912 and 1926 it was not played for. In 1927 play was reintroduced but as a Foursome. Eventually became the summer medal awarded to the player with the lowest 4 round aggregate from the 6 monthly medals. The first winner in 1906 was Mr J K McLeod.
Gents Victory Cup (1919)
Purchased by the Club to commemorate the end of the First World War and as a recognition of those young men of the Club who served in France and elsewhere. Originally played as an individual competition but became a Foursome competition in 1935 and finally, in 1973, a Greensomes competition over 18 holes on handicap. The first winner in 1919 was Mr W E Crow. The first winners in Foursomes (1935) were Mr J Cuthill and Mr I Moyes. The first Greensomes winners in 1973 were Mr R G Halliday and Mr E A Murray.
The Brimer Cup (1927)
Donated to the Club in 1927 by Mr T Brimer of the Aberdour Hotel. This was the first Club trophy for a Mixed Foursome competition. The first winners in 1927 were Miss M E Nelson and Mr J Bald Jnr.
White House Trophy (1945) and Youth Trophy (1937)
The Whitehouse Trophy (on the left) was presented by the family of Eng. Commander Holly Whitehouse RN who lost his life during the Second World War. Play is 18 hole strokeplay on handicap. The first winner in 1945 was A F Sutcliffe.
The Youth Trophy (on the right) was presented in 1937 by the then Captain Mr J G Jack, in memory of David Tait Jack, killed in France on 29 June 1916. Initially a strokeplay competition on handicap over 10 holes but extended to 18 holes in 1982. The first winner in 1937 was J R C Affleck and, over the extended play in 1982, I Mann.
Both Trophies are contested by Junior members of the Club.
Club Centenary Cups (1996)
Purchased by the Club to celebrate the Club’s Centenary in 1996. There are 3 Trophies – Junior, Ladies and Gents. All 3 Trophies were 18 hole strokeplay on handicap. Play took place on Saturday, 22 June 1996 and the Centenary winners were:
Gents – Mr W MacKay
Ladies – Mrs M Christie
Juniors – E Crozier and D McNeil (joint winners)