Bunker Renovation Works – Phase 2
In 2017 we commissioned Howard Swan, Golf Course Architect, to carry out a review of the bunkering on the golf course and to make recommendations. Howard Swan’s report was considered by the Council and discussed at a Special General Meeting in October 2017. Members supported embarking on a programme of redevelopment specifically in relation to the bunkers. A copy is available to view in the Clubhouse. Last winter we completed phase 1, redeveloping the 13th and 14th holes. This work has been well received by members and visitors.
At the 2018 AGM members approved a proposal to continue the programme and redevelop the bunkering at the 12th hole during winter 2018.
Plans for 12th hole
The works proposed at the 12th hole are shown on the drawing contained within Howard Swan’s report.
This will involve the removal of the bunker on the left between the 14th and 12th greens and the two bunkers at the back of the green (NEW! in addition the right middle bunker will be replaced with a swale). The other bunkers will be reshaped with additional drainage and new sand similar to that provided in the 13th and 14th hole bunkers.
Subject to weather conditions, the main construction works will take approximately 2 weeks starting on 5 November. During this period the 12th hole will be out of play. The 11th hole will be split into two par 3s. After the main construction, it is expected a further 5 weeks of work will be required to complete the drainage, turfing and sand. During this work it is expected the 12th hole will be reopened, playing to the temporary green which has been prepared short of the front bunkers.
Programme update – End of Week 2 (16 November 2018)
- Work going well, 2 weeks in and the great progress has continued this week.
- Surrounds of the two fairway bunkers, the front right bunker and the newly formed swale all now turfed using turf removed from the area plus 300 square metres of new turf.
- Drainage work progressed and completed the clearing of the ditch.
- All machinery now offsite.
- Whole area around 12th hole declared out of play, a clear walkway from the normal 11th green to 13th tee has been marked – please follow the arrows and path and keep out the works area.
- Distances marked for the two par 3 holes (5th and 6th) on the winter course (normal 11th hole – split into two).
- Plans for next week:-
- our aim is to reopen the 12th hole playing to the temporary green and return to playing the 5th/11th hole as the full hole again.
- prepare the run off areas at the back of the 12th green for turfing and turf these areas.
- start to work on the front left and rear left bunkers (levelling, preparatory work for turfing and laying turf).
- repair the front left bunker on the 14th hole (backfilling the gravel, applying base material, removing contaminated sand and replenishing with new sand and ideally getting this back into play).
- completing more of the drainage work.
- We will continue to post updates on Twitter and Facebook during next week.